University of Cumbria
- Rank: 114/131 Sunday Times League Table 2021
- Address: University of Cumbria Fusehill Street Carlisle CA1 2HH
- Country: United Kingdom
- International Office Contact name: Dee De Rocha (Director) Kirsty Fisher (International Office) Saiqa Karim (Int'l Admissions & Compliance)
- International Office Contact Email: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- International Office Contact Telephone: +44 (0)1524 530 890
- Accommodation Office Contact Email: email@example.com
- Accommodation Office Contact Phone: +44 (0)1524 530 890
- Tuition Fee Range: £10,500 - £12,800 - £14,500 (MBA) £15,500
There are 15 x £3000 scholarships for C2C students who go to Cumbria for the September 23 intake.
If you want your student to be considered for one please emai firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to Luke and let the team know you wish this applicant to be awarded one of the £3000 scholarships that you have been allocated.
The University will then record this on the applicants SITS record and the offer letter will denote the £3000.
You need to copy Luke as he needs to make sure there are no more than 15.
Students can also receive a £1000 early payment discount if they pay their full fee before the course starts.
- Additional Info:
CONTRACT IS GLOBAL BUT NO APPLICATIONS FROM PUNJAB, HARYANA
INTRO RECORDING WITH CUMBRIA
Please watch the intro recording with Cumbria University which will give you information on all aspects of the university including application procedures, academic entry requirements, credibility interviews
EMAIL COMMUNICATION WITH CUMBRIA (Message from Univeristy 26 Sept 23)
We now have a new focussed agent email account: email@example.com. Due to the number of emails received by colleagues and delays in response times we would ask that moving forward, all emails relating to the following matters should be sent to the new email account:
• General enquiries, not related to admissions or applications.
• Marketing enquiries.
• Recruitment Event notifications’
• Agent commission enquiries.
TUITION FEES (Please check university website)
Most UG and PG courses have a tuition fee of £12,800 - £13,250 for 2022 entry.
MBA is £15,000.
MSc Physiotherapy is £15,000 per year (2 year course).
ACADEMIC ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Please refer to the zoom intro recording for Cumbria for details on entry requirements
Note that Open school is accepted for 12th standard students from India
HOW TO APPLY (not PGCE - see later section)
Please use the link below to apply
This link will prioritise our applications other others the university is assessing.
Create a "new user" listing your student's details.
REMEMBER to put your own email address into the contact email address section so you receive a copy of all correspondence from the University.
To tag the applicaiton to C2C you need to mention on the top of the Statement of Purpose (SOP) the following:
2. Preferred start date
3. Connect2Counsellors Ltd
This is the way we will identify ourselves as the referring agent. The University hopes to develop an agent portal in due course.
IMPORTANT: The SOP must be copied into the application form. If you do not copy the SOP into the applicaiton form it will be submitted without the SOP and will then be rejected by the University.
Once the application is submitted the student receives an email with the applicant portal details. A few days after this when Admissions is ready to process the application, they send another email with a list of documents the student needs to upload. It is only then that the upload documents section becomes live on the applicant portal. While submitting the application there is no provision to upload anything.
References, passport copies and qualification information can be uploaded with the online application. If there are problems they can also be emailed to international.Admissions@cumbria.ac.uk listing the applicant's name and course.
Decisions on applications usually take 48 hours but can take longer in peak periods.
All students must have a formal English language test. 70% or above in 12th standard is NOT accepted. This is because the university was hit with a large number of non genuine students from India last year who entered the country but did not turn up. The University is therefore being very strict with English requirements.
Cumbria does not accept DuoLingo.
University of Cumbria accepts the following tests: IELTS UKVI/Academic, Pearson PTE, TOEFL iBT, LanguageCert, Trinity, Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English. They do not accept school certificates or medium instruction of English as a proof of English language proficiency.
Alternatively, students can complete the University of Cumbria Internal English Password Test. To request this test you need to email the international office with the student's personal email address. The link to the test will be sent to the student. Test results take about 4 - 5 working days. The test is similar in style to IELTS. More information: https://store.cumbria.ac.uk/product-catalogue/students/courses-accreditations/university-of-cumbria-password-english-language-test
Accommodation costs in Cumbria are amongst the lowest in the UK. They have some female only accommodation and some ensuite bedrooms.
All students will have a credibility interview AFTER to paying their deposit. The University now has CAS Shield. This needs to be completed before the CAS letter is issued.
For the September 23 intake Luke will do a mock credibility interview which will be recorded. Please do prepare your students before the mock interview. Counsellors will be required to attend that mock interview to observe how their student performs.
MSc Physiotherapy is a 2 year course (conversion) and is very popular. Students need to apply early.
EARLY PAYMENT DISCOUNT
£1000 Students who pay their tuition fee in full will receive a £1000 early payment reduction if they pay their fees before registration. UG students will also receive this in year 2 and 3
For Indian students (and most other nationalities) the deposit is 50% before CAS is issued.
For Nigerian students we require 75% deposit to secure CAS and 100% before the registration. In this case they will also benefit form £1000 discount.
POSTGRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN EDUCATION (PGCE) IN THE UK
If you are not familiar with PGCE courses in the UK then you should watch the webinar held by Jan Ashbridge at the Institute of Education at Cumbria University. This was a hugely useful session and helped explain: the courses; entry requirements; how to apply; application process; reference requirements; scholarships and bursaries; and job prospects.
Key points to note:
1 International students will require GCSE English and Maths and some may require science also at grade C4 or above. Equivalences are not accepted. Students would need to provide evidence of achieving these grades by 30 June each year. They can sit these exams through the following online providers:
Edge Hill - https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/study/equivalency/
Equivalency Testing - https://www.equivalencytesting.com/
A Star equivalency - https://astarequivalency.co.uk/
2 International students will require a DBS check. DBS stands for Disclosure and Barring Service and is basically a Police check to confirm whether you have a criminal record. As teachers are teaching minors under the age of 18 these DBS checks are mandatory for student teachers as they will go on “teaching practice” to different schools. International students are required to get a DBS check when they arrive in the UK so they are encouraged to arrive before the term starts as these DBS checks can take several weeks to process.
3. Applications for the PGCE are made through the Department for Education “Apply System” and not direct to the University. References are only taken up after the University has interviewed the student. Referees will be sent an email asking them to provide an emailed reference. It is the student’s responsibility to chase the referee for the reference. If the student has finished their degree in the last 3 years the reference must come from their University, if they completed their degree more than 3 years earlier the reference can be provided by an employer or other suitable non family member who can comment in a professional capacity on the student’’s ability to study a postgraduate course and aptitude to be a teacher.
4. Applications take around 2 weeks to process and if shortlisted the applicant will be invited to an online interview with the University.
5 Statement of Purpose must detail why they want to become a teacher - it is a very important part of the application and students must spend time preparing the best SOP they can.
6 English language requirements are IELTS 6.5 with 6.5 as minimum score in writing and speaking
7 The PGCE course starts in September and finishes in June or early July. The University then makes a recommendation to the Department for Education for the student to be granted “Qualified Teacher Status” or QTS. You can only be employed as a teacher in the UK if you have QTS. Usually students receive confirmation of their QTS 4 - 8 weeks after finishing their PGCE.
8 Students may proceed to do an online MA in Education in Professional Practice within 5 years of completing their PGCE if they would like a masters qualification.
9. Part time work is strongly discouraged during a PGCE as it is an intensive course.
10. Tuition fee at Cumbria is £13,575 which can be reduced to £12,575
11. There is a £10,000 International Relocation Bursary that international students can apply for if they are going to teach Maths, Physics for some sciences as these are national shortage areas.
12. There is a potential for a bursary scholarship of up to £29,000. International students may also be considered for this. Further information can be found here
13. Job prospects are excellent for teachers as long as the student is happy to work anywhere. Starting salaries are around £28,000 outside London and £33,000 inside London. Many students get offered a job during their teaching practice in schools if they impress the head teacher.
14. Cumbria will still carry out credibility interviews.
15. The PGCE Primary has a January intake with the application deadline likely to be mid November. The PGCE Secondary only has a September intake..
- Commission(%): 15% - 20%
- Commission(Additional Information):
COMMISSION ONLY PAID IF THE STUDENT HAS PAID 100% OF THEIR FEE
15% commission paid for the first 20 students.
20% commission paid for the 21st student onwards.
All commission is based on the nett tuition fee paid i.e. minus scholarships and any fee discount for early payment.
A further 5% commission will be paid for undergraduate students when they enter the second year of their course.
15% will be paid for the International Foundation Programme or Pre-sessional English language